"Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?!"

The Music of The Dynamic Duo

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Srs Bsns Post




Alright, everyone who knows K and I knows we're normally fun, lighthearted (ok maybe not so lighthearted) fun loving ladies.

We both have pasts and secrets, and a big-not-gonna-be-so-secret is that both K and myself have been cutters. It is something I still deal with at times, there are a lot of misconceptions about cutters. The biggest one is that they are all suicidal... No.

I tend to categorize cutters in three groups; Attention grabbers, self-harmers, and people who are indeed working up to kill themselves.

People who are attention grabbers are the easiest to recognise, they show off their cuts, they tell people they want to die, they are loud and try to fit into the goth crowd. They think it's "cool".

Just an FYI cutting & self mutilation is not cool. Not at all kids.

The people who are working up to suicide need help, they need help A.S.A.P. if you are suicidal or having those thoughts or know someone who does please do us a favor and give this number a call- 1-800-273-8255 , or visit this site-http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ .I maintain and stay firm on my thoughts that suicide is never an option and it is NOT the answer.

Self-harmers are a larger group than you would expect and they come from all walks of life. I was a cheerleader, K was in band, a friend of ours was in student council. We self harmed because it made us feel better, as fucked up as it sounds some people can't think of another outlet for their anger or hurt than to take it out on themselves. It is extremely dangerous and definitely not the best means of release, but it "helps".

These people tend to hide the fact they do it, and are the hardest to spot. If you met us on the street you would never guess any of us did it. I hate the fact that people stereotype cutters and if you don't know, then DO NOT WRITE IT!

Now on to my next topic.

Rape and sexual abuse. They say 1 in 4 girls have or will be a victim in their lifetime. They also speculate that it is probably closer to 1/2. The side effects and trauma of said abuse are staggering. A good website to check out is http://www.secasa.com.au/index.php/workers/21/54 if you would like to learn more. We tend to write from personal experience and our own personal reactions and knowledge.

Rape is not a sexual fantasy and those who have experienced it know that it is a terrifying experience. People with rape fantasies usually do not actually want to be raped, they want to be taken. Big, big difference. Please for the love of god, do not glorify rape.

And try to understand that people who are victims tend to have completely different reactions than you would. A guy wants to go down on you and you're like "yes sir!" with a victim, even if said victim is sexually active, their first reaction is usually no, they fear they might look funny or that it could bring up a memory. And there is nothing worse than having a memory hit you in the middle of a intimate moment. Trust me on that.

Next topic...

Drug abuse!

It's not cool, we understand the draw, we understand the allure. But addiction is not fun, and drugs actually do some pretty bad shit to you. As a person who watched someone they loved dearly fall because of meth usage, just don't do it. If you are abusing drugs and need help please visit this site; http://www.na.org/ or call this number. Nationwide addiction assistance helpline 800-559-9503 .

Last, but not least;

GO TO CLASS, DO YOUR HOMEWORK, DO NOT FAIL YOUR CLASSES BECAUSE YOU WANT TO READ FANFIC! Education is important.


And remember. I love you all.

Robs.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. This is necessary because some people are idiots and just have no common sense. You've shed light on such subjects tactfully and gracefully and my hat is off to you for that. Especially with The Reborn.

    I feel I have successfully come through the latter in your second topic. It will never be "gotten over" but it doesn't have to rule me or my relationship with my husband or that with my child(ren).

    I felt Mary's fear and pain while reading those parts. My experience was not that, er, in-depth? But traumatic nonetheless. And I didn't realize until recently that normal people react just like Jasper did, even if it's just on the inside. Again, I commend the way you handle these issues and I am glad there are good writers out there using their craft as a platform. You do it well.

    ReplyDelete